Armadale Road Roadworks Update
March 11, 2020
We’re excited that the roadworks for the widening of Armadale Road to a four lane dual carriageway has been completed.
Construction on the $145 million upgrade began in March 2018 and the new lanes opened to traffic in February 2020. The project involved a 6.9km stretch of Armadale Road between Tapper Rd and Anstey Rd. It involved:
- Construction of a four-lane dual carriageway, with dedicated turning lanes, intersection improvements and new shared path facilities.
- New roundabouts at Liddelow Road and Taylor Road/ Wright Road intersections.
- Rossiter Avenue converted to a left in left out only intersection.
- An upgrade of Nicholson Road intersection to a bridge over a roundabout.
- Minor upgrades at Ghostgum Avenue.
Armadale Rd to North Lake Rd Bridge Roadworks
In late 2019, construction began to build a new bridge over Kwinana Freeway, providing a direct link between North Lake Road and Armadale Road. This $237 million project is due for completion in late 2021 and will.
- Ease congestion at Cockburn Central Station and Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre.
- Improve access to Kwinana Freeway from Armadale Rd.
Outside of the bridge, the project also involves:
- Construction of free flowing lanes on Armadale Road through Solomon Road and Tapper Road intersections, with roundabouts.
- North-facing on and off ramps at Kwinana Freeway.
- Collector-distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road.
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road and Midgegooroo Avenue intersection.
Armadale Rd Roadworks
- Access to the business precinct, via the former Puma petrol station site on Solomon Road, permanently closed in November 2019.
- Sections of the Cockburn Central Train Station car park are temporarily closed. Replacement car parking bays are accessible from Knock Place with signage in place to direct car park users.
- The pedestrian and cyclist path between Freshwater Drive and Tapper Road is closed until May 2020. Path detours are in place.
See a map of the project works here – Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge Project overview map
To stay up to date with the latest roadworks, visit the Armadale Rd to North Lake Rd Bridge updates here.